The Law and Justice department of the Maharashtra Government introduced the Maharashtra State Tax on Professions, Trades, Callings, and Employment (Amendment) Bill, 2023, in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly on 20th March 2023. The Maharashtra State Tax on Professions, Trades, Callings, and Employment (Amendment) Act, 2023, shall come into effect from 1st April 2023.
The amended act has majorly two modifications. They are:
For section 27-A:
- The said act substituted clauses related to any person with a benchmark disability as per section 2(r) of the rights of a person with disabilities act, 2016, and the parents and guardians of a child with a benchmark disability.
- The person with a benchmark disability must hold a certificate of disability issued by the competent certifying authority. This will help an individual or an employer to produce such certificates before the prescribed authority to claim an exemption under this clause in respect of an assessment year.
For Schedule 1:
- Entry 1 of Schedule 1 added the entry related to the Salary and wage earners. The Act exempts the professional tax payable by the men who draw the monthly Salary or wages up to rupees seven thousand five hundred and the women who draw the monthly Salary or wages up to rupees twenty-five thousand.
- However, the men who draw Salaries or wages more than rupees seven thousand five hundred but do not exceed rupees ten thousand are liable to pay 2500/- per month.
- Men whose Salary or wages exceed ten thousand and Women whose Salary or wages exceed rupees 2500/- are liable to pay 2500/- per annum in a manner i.e.
- 200/- per month except for February
- 300/- for February.
The bill seeks the above set objectives.